Saturday 21 February 2015

Day 39 (India): Kanyakumari


Well, given the premise of the Sri Lankan bit of this trip, I could hardly ignore a bus labelled 'End to End' (pic). The six-hour journey took me from Madurai down to Kanyakumari: India's equivalent of Land's End, at the very bottom of the country's triangle. As usual, it took me a while to get to the point, but I got there in the end.


And this is it: the last bit of India, thronging with domestic coach parties and touring families. The next thing you hit going south is Antarctica. The next thing you hit going north is four million stalls selling tourist tat.


The place has quite a special significance for Indians, with Hindu temples, a Gandhi memorial, and statues commemorating a local poet (pic). This is the view from my hotel, which has a rooftop pool, a place of special significance for me.


The very-end bit was packed with Indians doing their ritual duty: taking selfies and dropping litter. I didn't want to do either. Getting someone to take my pic for me (pic) was a lot easier than finding a bin, though.


Not all the stalls sell souvenirs. There are quite a few food and drink places too. I wasn't quite sure if this was a misprint for 'shakes' or 'snacks'. Or maybe they actually do snake curry. I think I'll stick to my cauliflower masala.

No comments:

Post a Comment